Monday, December 14, 2009

There's no place like home

Skyler, Grandpa, Caleb & Kevin

15 grandkids
Andrew, Daniel, Doug, Julie, Me, Crystal,
Dad, Connie and Ryan


For those of you who do not know, I hale from Portland Oregon. I grew up in the middle of the city with all the craziness that comes with it. 8 of my siblings and my Dad still live there. Eventually they will see the error of their ways and move out here. Ha Ha. In the meantime, I am forced to drive or fly back to Oregon whenever there is an important family event, or if we feel like going to the Oregon coast. In the past 15 years, Mark and I have only gone back to Portland for the holidays once. Skyler was 18 months old. So, this year, weather permitting, we made the decision to drive back to Ptld for Thanksgiving. We left on Wed. the 25th and we were blessed with great weather! We stayed with my sister, Crystal and her husband Jason. They were great hosts and my boys got to know their cousins, Kayla and Brandon, better. Thursday we drove to the chapel that dad had reserved because we have a large enough crowd that meeting at a family members house is daunting. Everyone was there except Victor, Shelly, and Nick. We had a great time and great food. It is hard to see my family and get causght up with all they are doing in such a short amount of time. So, thank heavens for Facebook and email! After the dinner the kids took a whack at dad's pinata. What fun!

We went out to see Shelly and Victor on Friday and did a little shopping. (Nick lives in California) Then Saturday we drove the 12 1/2 hours home! It was a quick holiday visit, but worth it. Now if we can just get a few family members to move out here....




3 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Oh, I love seeing the pictures of your family!! Your dad looks great, and your siblings do, too. I'm so glad you got to go. HOW FUN!! :)

Pam Williams said...

Love the adventures in Portland. We've had a few of those, but they'll be fewer now that Jen has moved to New York. Hope my brothers will still invite me to come home once in a while.

Jane Ellen said...

Great family pictures! I'm so glad you were able to go out and see your family. It was so fun to see you for Christmas and do some visiting. We look forward to seeing you again in the spring/summer!