Saturday, March 5, 2011

Finally, a quiet moment...I think

Brielle strikes a pose

Our wintery backyard

I don't know many new mothers who can tell me the day of the week when asked! I thought about that today as I peeled around town running errands (kid free). It's Saturday! Brielle is in the hands of four wonderful caregivers! So... I had a haircut, stopped at the DI, filled the car with gas, and went grocery shopping. Yeah for Saturday!

Back at the ranch, Mark and I purchased a new tv with some of our tax return $ yesterday and so the boys took turns watching Brielle and helping Mark set up the set. Just FYI, we have had the same wonderful 27" tv for 13 years. We were pretty content with our little tv. But as the boys have brought friends over to play the Wii and watch movies, it has become a need. We will probably use the old tv in our room or office.

OK, I have a moral/ethical question. How many of you reward your kids for getting good grades on their report card? Mark & I came from big families, so recieving anything else but a verbal accolade for good grades was unheard of. However, the twins have been struggling in school, so we discussed it and decided to offer the boys $5 for every A. Skyler was thrilled because he has had straight A's for a couple years. The point was to motivate the twins. We haven't seen their report cards yet, but since making the offer I have never seen them get on their homework so fast and so often. Weigh-in on your thoughts.

Brielle is 6 months old now. She is doing an army crawl but gets on her knees every now and then. She hates to be on her tummy for too long. So, while playing with her toys on the floor, she'll lean over on her side. It's really quite funny because it looks like she's posing for a picture. She is also eating solids and so far likes all the food she's offered. (like mother like daughter). The best thing I heard this week was a comment from Caleb. He said, "I love to see Brielle when she wakes up because she always wakes up happy!" He right. She is a happy baby.

On a final note, we have had a pretty mild winter considering it started so early! However, when it snows 7" in one day and the boys have to shovel our drive plus the drives of 4 widows in the ward they are assigned to, it's nothing but complaining. I listen as I pour hot water into their mug of cocoa, let them have as many marshmallows as they want, then I glance out my kitchen window and enjoy my spot of peaceful beauty.







3 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

I love the picture of Brielle! So cute! As far as your money-grades question, I too always felt that it was just something you DID without getting PAID for it. But that was before I had a child who REALLY needed motivation to get good grades! :) Now I understand that some kids need motivation of some kind, and it also shows that good grades and hard work are important to you (parents), which is good, too.

Toshia said...

I love hearing about Brielle and seeing pictures! It really makes me wish the girls could get together sooner than later...maybe we should sneak over for a visit sometime?
As far as the grades and money, I have the same questions. The reward was in the satisfaction that you did something like that, I mean--no one paid me to be valedictorian! I thought I would never have to "bribe" my kids. Enter Adrian--let's just say my least favorite time of day is when Adrian comes home from school. Not because he is coming home, but because of the homework. It is getting better, but it is quite literally a nightmare. I am now a parent that appreciates incentives and implementing "motivational strategies." The current one around here is this: Adrian picks out something he wants (currently a Wii game, surprised?) and then I make a chart. I have decided that this particular game is worth 20 days of getting the school work done. He can earn the game after 20 days. However, he can also get strikes for particularly bad days. 3 strikes and he has to start over. The first time the chart went up he had 3 strikes before he even had 6 days. I think he realized I was serious since he now is on day 11 and doesn't have a single strike! If you can figure out what works, do it. You know your kids and what works for them.
Much love your way, we miss you guys!
(sorry for the really long comment!)

Pam Williams said...

You've got one CUTE little girl there! Hope you can come and bring your family while Jen's visiting this summer. Now that Elin lives here, and Jordan isn't far away, we'll be doing a lot of celebrating together. Don't know the dates yet, but it may be late June/early July. And what a picturesque back yard you have!