Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Schuyler!





Big 16 year old



Egg salad, anyone?






Today is Schuyler's 16th birthday and so far he's turned out to be a pretty great kid. Granted, like all teens he has his moments! To celebrate we went to Brick Oven for dinner (a pizza restaurant), stopped at Sam's club to let him pick out his cake, then opened gifts when we got home. We did all this Monday because I am taking Schuyler and a friend to the Boondocks fun center after school to ride go carts and play in the arcade today. For his birthday we tried to keep things simple. Although being 16 is a big deal. Caleb gave him a book called 301 dating ideas! Kevin gave him a book on everything you need to know about science, Mark gave him some sunglasses and a new CD and I gave him the afgan I had been working on since his 12th birthday! ( We have moved a few times in the last 4 years and I had a baby, so cut me some slack!) Then we had him open his last gift which was his own checkbook with some money in it. We told him even though he has a savings account he needs to learn how to balance a checkbook and learn to be frugal in his spending. We then explained that this money was to be used for any clothes or shoes or things he needs. If he wanted to blow it all on one pair of shoes, or on a fun group date, he could do that but we would not buy anything for him if he needed something else later. We want him to learn to buy his own things. Now that he has finished taking Driver's Ed. he will need to use some of the money to pay for gas if he uses the car, etc...

This will be a good experience for him.


Also the other day I was cutting up one of our many eggs we hard boiled from Easter and found a twin yolk. I thought it was interesting and took a picture. Brielle officially has her 2 front bottom teeth!

1 comment:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Wow, happy birthday Schuyler!! What a really cool birthday! (I used to LOVE Brick Oven when I lived in Provo!) I love the checkbook idea. Great idea! Love the two teeth on Brielle, too! Cute. :)